Beyond Amazon

Here at Fair Indigo we are counting down the days. In t-minus 60 (ish), we’ll start shipping orders from a new warehouse. Today orders are shipped from dozens of Amazon fulfillment centers around the country.

We couldn’t be more excited. To give you better service, to reduce our carbon footprint, and to work with an awesome team of like-minded people at the new warehouse.

DMF

Looking forward to working with this world class crew!

Our relationship with Amazon has been…complicated.

In 2011 when we decided to start selling on Amazon, we had singular reasoning: to provide a better life for the most garment workers, we need to sell more clothes. And there was no better place than Amazon to get our organic & ethically made clothes in front of more eyes. Their reputation for fast and efficient shipping made them an attractive option to ship our fairindigo.com orders too.

Amazon helps thousands of new customers find us. Which helps us sell more fairly made clothing. Which does tons of good.

But our shipping partnership hasn’t been without challenges. Like when an alpaca scarf sometimes gets shipped in a carton that could hold a small microwave. Or when multiple packages are shipped for a single order because Amazon’s algorithms distribute inventory across multiple warehouses.

In recent months, Amazon hasn’t been shipping some orders as quickly as they are supposed to either. (Lots of insider jargon, but here is our letter to them about this). And while Amazon’s announcement of a universal $15 minimum wage is a great thing, their reputation for working conditions hasn’t lived up.

So one of our 2019 resolutions is to bring you a cleaner, greener, friendlier delivery experience. In the meantime we have to move! Since we’d rather sell stuff than move stuff, you get 30% off items we’d rather be out of come February. Enjoy!

11 thoughts on “Beyond Amazon

1. Nan says:

I am so thrilled to hear this for another reason! I have M.C.S. and everything (from any vendor) shipped from amazon.com stinks, more or less. I have to always thoroughly wash your clothing to get the smell out – the smell I think of as the “Amazon smell.” So add this to all your reasons for moving :-).

• Carmela says:

I also have M.C.S. and had the same experience when the clothing was shipped from Amazon. I had never had that problem in the past. Last year I had to return a few sweaters since I was unable to get the smell out. I haven’t ordered since, although I have been considering it again these past few weeks since I needed a few items. I am also thrilled they will be shpping direclty to their customers once again!!

2. Leanna Stoufer says:

Thank you for being fair and mindful in your business choices. This is why I buy nearly all my clothes from Fair Indigo! And now I will feel better about the fulfillment of orders too. Again, thank you!

3. Laura says:

What fantastic news! I’ve been trying to move away from Amazon as much as possible (for all the reasons you mentioned) and am so glad to see y’all are making this shift!

4. Heather says:

I appreciate your thoughtful approach. I agree, I’ve never been a big Amazon shopper and try to avoid them (I actually found you directly), so the fact you are moving away from Amazon is just another reason to continue to purchase beautiful sustain clothes from you.

5. Joy says:

I’m so happy to hear about this change! I’ve actually become reluctant to order from you because I’ve had so many issues with things shipped from Amazon. And like an earlier person commented, items shipped from Amazon all come with strong odors that make some of us feel rather ill. I’ve never known if it was exposure in the warehouses or the shipping materials they use, but I”m “migrating” away from Amazon whenever possible, for that reason and for all the reasons you wrote about. Thank you, thank you!

6. Ruth Perkins says:

I have to admit that I was surprised/kind of disappointed the first time I received my Fair Indigo order in a bag from Amazon, so this is great news! I never had to wait long for my shipments personally so I guess I was just lucky! I will continue to purchase the majority of my clothing from you.

7. Carmela says:

As a previous poster remarked, I also have M.C.S. and found the clothing to have a “smell” when being shipped from the Amazon warehouse as well. Therfore it’s been @ 2 yrs since I’ve ordered any merchandise. I have considered giving it another try these past few weeks being that I needed a few things, but have been reluctant. I am THRILLED that they will once again be shipping their merchadise diretctly to consumers from their warehouse!! I will definately be a returning customer!

8. Monica Mandeville says:

I am so impressed with your transparency and intentionalism in planning the future of Fair Indigo and all it represents. I will happily support your business for years to come.

9. Ruth Weber says:

WOW. This is very important. You have been paying attention. I try not to use Amazon and I will make an effort to buy from Fair Indigo now. THANKS! I will spread the word.

10. Donna says:

I totally agree with the comments. I, too, find that items from Amazon have an awful smell that just does not come out of clothing. I am thrilled that you will be shipping from your warehouse. I will support your business for future orders on clothing. My family only wears organic and your clothes are stylish and safe to wear. Thanks. Donna